Thursday, October 29, 2009

Adding Value Shouldn't Be An "Aha" Moment

I don't know about you, but I now commute daily to and from work. As you might imagine, there are traffic delays in the morning and afternoon "rush hours." Why they're still called "rush hours", though, I'm not sure--can you say oxymoron?

Anyway, as I was driving home the other day, I was struck by how useless the regular traffic reports on the radio were to me. While the traffic reporters dutifully stated all of the various delays on all of the highways and byways, they missed reporting what really would have been useful to everyone listening to them.

Think about it--if you commute in a major metropolitan area, and typically use the same main route to get there, you pretty much know where the usual delays are. Does hearing a traffic reporter confirming where all the delays and accidents are really help you at all? Does the reporter telling you how large and bad the delays are really help you, other than letting you know you're gonna be late for work in the morning, or late getting home for dinner in the evening?

Wouldn't it be incredibly useful if the traffic reporter informed you of the best alternate routes to use to save you some time and avoid the delays, accidents, roadwork, etc.?

That's called adding value.

When I was a traffic reporter in Chicago many years ago, I was always mindful of adding value to my traffic reports by not simply going on and on about how bad traffic was, but by suggesting alternate routes, and whenever possible, adding how much time that might save you.

I called the news station I listen to regularly yesterday and shared this with them.

I asked them to share with their traffic reporters as a suggestion.

Wonder if anyone at the station had an "aha" moment.

I sure hope so.

Think about your own daily work, ask yourself if you're adding value on a regular basis, and avoid an "aha" moment.

That's my (Mark's) Mark.

Have a value-added day.

No comments:

Post a Comment